Thursday September 8, 6-7:45 PM: Electoral Reform Town Hall with Kent Hehr
As part of the government consultation on electoral reform, MPs have been invited to hold town halls. This is our chance to show up and speak up for proportional representation! What the MPs hear from constituents at the town halls – how much support there is for proportional representation – will be reported back to the all-party committee. Please show up if you can and invite others.
Opponents of reform are organizing and attending these events. We need to be there to speak up for a vote that counts.
When: Thursday September 8th, 6:00-7:45 PM
When: Knox United Church – Theatre, 506 – 4th Street SW, Calgary
If you are able to attend the town hall please let me (Anita) know so I can touch base with you afterwards. Please let us know how the town hall goes by sending a summary to email@example.com.
If you are are constituent and not able to attend: Please email Kent at KENT.HEHR@PARL.GC.CA or call his constituency office at 403.244.1880. Identify yourself as a constituent who is unable to attend the town hall but would like to let him know you support proportional representation and ask that your feedback be included in his report. (If you are not a constituent it is still great to attend the town hall).
At town halls and consultations, we are focusing on communicating our core values:
– Proportional Representation: 30% of the vote should equal 30% of the seats
- Voter Equality: every voter should be able to elect an MP who reflects his/her values
- Diversity: Our Parliament should reflect our diversity, including the political diversity within each region
- Collaboration: proportional representation means parties working together, and policies supported by parties representing a majority of voters
Thanks so much for your help at this important time.
Fair Vote Canada Action Coordinator
2) PR Systems in Fair Vote Canada’s submission: PR-STV (see also STV+), MMP and MMP with ranked ballot and Rural-Urban Proportional Representation. (links to printable pamphlets here: STV, MMP, Rural-Urban PR)
3) Evidence for Proportional Representation – a good summary of the research on PR.
4) Make Every Vote Count – a printable one page handout for events
5) Myth/Fact Sheet – a two page handout addressing common myths